Friday, August 05, 2005

Tea Towel Barrista Apron

It's so easy to make an apron if you have a sewing machine, a tea towl, some extra wide double folded bias tape and of course thread!

1. Here's the tea towel I am using. I FINALLY bought it from Target. I had been picking it up and putting it back for about a year. They used to have vintage hawaiian girl tea towels too. Now I am kicking myself about not getting those. What cute baby dresses they would have made. Enough rambling...on with the tutorial.







2. Hold your tea towel so that the bottom edge is just above your knees. Mark where your waist is and cut off the top edge there. Save this peice to make a pocket. (I cut off an extra 1 and 1/2 inches from my pocket piece otherwise my pocket would cover part of my design...but you might be blessed with longer legs than mine!)







3. Cut a piece of bias tape 2 inches longer than the width of your apron. Pin this piece to the raw (cut) edge of your pocket piece with an inch hanging off each side. Sew the tape down about 1/8 inch from the open edge of the tape.

Center and pin the remaining piece of bias tape on your large apron piece. Tuck the ends inside (only about 1/2 inch) and sew the length of the tape about 1/8th inch from one end to the other (forming your apron strings.)

4. Pin the pocket piece to the apron piece. Wrap the ends of the bias tape around to the back of the apron. The top edge of my pocket is about 2 inches below the apron's top. Sew the pocket down. (You can follow my guidelines in the pic) Also stitch where you want the pockets to be. Dont forget to stitch back and forth at the beginning and end of your stitches to prevent it from coming undone.

So here it is.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

That is super cute!

4:28 PM  
Blogger joy madison said...

soooooo cute! hmmmm, an easy solution to our mother daughter apron month:)

8:45 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

That's so cool! KMart has some surprisingly nice tea towels too. I have tea towel from Anthropologie that I'd hoped to turn into a skirt for my daughter, but this is a great idea, too.

11:14 AM  
Blogger kath red said...

really cute and love the tutorials site.
thanks for pointing me here

3:43 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

So cute! I am getting ready to make my first Tie One On submission, and I just bought some adorable tea towels on clearance today to use. Now I have BIG ideas about what I am going to do with them, thanks to you! Great site, and great tutorials!

11:56 AM  
Blogger sassymonkey said...

That's really darned cute. I'll have to remember that...

5:27 AM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

Lovely! I am seeing that I have met another target addict! ha ha!

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home